The 'new' Church of St Mary's Stoke Newington was built in the 1850's in response to the rapid growth of the local population. The Rector, the Revd Thomas Jackson, offered the site of the old rectory and garden for a new church to be built opposite the 300 year-old Old Church.
The architect George Gilbert Scott (later knighted) was appointed to the project and designed a building in the style of thirteenth century Gothic. The new St Mary's was consecrated by the Lord Bishop of London on 25th June 1858. It stretches 180 feet (55m) from the inside line of the apse to the west door and is 80 feet (25m) wide from north to south transept.
The original plan foresaw a spire soaring 220 feet (65m) but it was to be 45 years before this was finally added to the building. Floodlighting was added at Easter 1996.
Extensive and modern New Church Rooms have been built, attached to the Church. These greatly improve the facilities available to the congregation and have been greeted with widespread architectural acclaim.